Media Ecology Experiment
Aim: to alter the communication patterns of the buses media ecology by means of the way passengers employ their mobile phones
‘Mobile Manners’ Posters
Video Recording Device
Bus seating plan for notation purposes
Encourage passengers to use their phones to communicate simple orders to one another by using the most common noises on their mobile phone. Posters [...]
Archive for October, 2009
Media Ecology Experiment
As a supplement to our aimless walk I’ve decided to include the Instamapper log of our trip, and also the Google map we created out of our journey via this log
Utilising the iPhone as a means of documenting our journey was an afterthought of ours, and as I wasn’t certain whether it would work I [...]
**This blog was written in collaboration with the group**
As we began our aimless walk, we realized it was going to be a lot harder than we thought to find a person who fit the various descriptions we had. We changed our methods to spilt up in pairs and get on different cars to maximize the [...]
Graham initially cautioned against our idea in favour of the Oyster Card, as the Oyster Card provided a window onto the society of control. Upon reflection he was right, as our chosen means of getting aimless did not afford a viewpoint to how informational systems block access to some worlds. We were fortunate that the [...]
** This blog was written in collaboration with the group ** (http://wordpress.imiant.org.uk/renee/2009/10/20/love-on-the-line-a-structured-aimless-walk/)
After seeing the first Oyster travel log, we decided that using the travel log to create something ‘aimless’ was too limited. We then came up with the idea of using people’s missed connections as a starting point. We found a website called Love on [...]
I’m allready falling into bad, top down approaches to my Perl project, however I intend to make it by necessity only.
I’m trying to pull .xml or .rss data from Twitter, just so I can get a stream of text which should prove to be fairly infinite. I want to get this data so that I [...]
Being tasked with summing up how I’d approach some of the already completed Imiant projects as though I were attempting to bring the project from concept to execution was a difficult task and I’m more than content to weasel out of the responsibility by posing further questions as my response to the task.
The biggest question [...]
I have spent the last hour an a half just playing with the command line, and found it a lot more enjoyable.
Through spending time with info sed I found a way to remove words without affecting other words containing their sequence of words (although again the solution is imperfect).
I also played around with the od [...]
Having had a chance to reflect on how I presented the command line to the class I think it’d be productive if I broke down what each element of my code does.
The first thing I have to note is that all throughout I referred to my project as a crossword when in fact I meant [...]
After a day of frustration in the lab (centred mostly around my concept being boring, and my execution of a boring concept being incredibly clunky) I returned home fairly dejected.
When formulating a concept for this project I had been struck by how akin the defamiliarisation techniques we employed last Tuesday were akin to ‘learning by [...]